Used to mention an illustration, in support of a claim.
Used to denote a specimen or model.
When is Example used?
• The word example is used to mention an illustration, in support of a claim.
• It shows that something is typical of or fits into a particular category.
• When used as a verb, example means to illustrate or exemplify.
When is Sample used?
• The word sample is used to denote a specimen or model.
• In most cases, a sample is a physical entity.
• Sample can also be used as a verb to describe the action of collecting a part or piece of something.
How are they Used?
Example:She has set an examplefor women who want to join forces.Sample:Typhoid infection is detected by testing the patient’s blood sample.
Usage in Academic Writing
• Example means an illustration.
• Sample means a specimen.
• While they may appear to be synonyms, we saw how these words express very different ideas.
How to Use in Academic Writing
Previously, Powell (1984) gave a sample of the censored least absolute deviations estimator.
Previously, Powell (1984) gave an example of the censored least absolute deviations estimator.